About the Building
Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church was organized in May 1924. Three years later, the original building, which includes the current narthex, classrooms, gymnasium and offices, was completed. As the congregation grew, planning began in 1944 for a sanctuary to be added to the existing structure. The new sanctuary was dedicated in September, 1951.
The sanctuary, like the original structure, is modified gothic. It is constructed of Indiana limestone, blending with the older stone, but having slightly more color. The roof is slate. Much of the interior is finished with random concrete block which aids acoustics due to its porosity. The heavy arched wood trusses suggest the upturned hull of a ship and recall the Latin source of the word Nave.
From the narthex, the center aisle runs through the chancel to the raised communion table and dossal curtain with the suspended cross of Iona, often call the Celtic Cross. This cross is also found in stone at the peak of the outside west wall.
Above the communion table are three large lancet windows filled with grisaille or patterned stained glass in which are set sixteen small Christian symbols. The side windows of the nave have symbolic medallions representing, from left to right on the south side, the Mosaic Law, the Prophets, St. James, St. John, St. Peter, and St. Paul. On the north side, medallions represent St. Augustine, St. Francis of Assisi, Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Knox, the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., the National Council of Churches, and the World Council of Churches.
The interior woodwork and the furnishings of our sanctuary are finished in light oak. Incorporated in the stonework and in the oak of the interior are symbols of our faith such as the Word of God, the Hand of God, and the wheat and grape vine symbolic of the Lord’s Supper.